Sarah Kay Away

Thursday, September 18, 2008

No Soy Mamá





















Me, Tutui















Me, Michaela, Nicole




I know it's been a little while since you've heard from me. As you can tell from my last post, things have been absolutely crazy. I'm going to hold off on posting updates concerning the situation with those 3 boys. Veronica is going to help me figure out exactly what's going on, so I can make it more factual and less rumors/speculation. Hopefully that will happen sometime this weekend.


Meanwhile back at the house, the kids that are still there are enjoying their new toys. I bought them a set of Legos, because I've never met a kid who didn't like playing with Legos. I know I loved them. Well, I didn't buy Legos exactly. As I mentioned before, anything imported from the US or Europe is ridiculously expensive. A box of Legos was in the $20-25 range. And yes, that's US Dollars, NOT Pesos. So, I found the local version: Blocky. I knew I had made the right choice when, as it was taken out of the bag, their eyes got wide and they started exclaiming to each other, "Wow! It's just like on TV!". That was yesterday. Today, when I arrived, they were STILL playing with them. I wouldn't be surprised if a few little building blocks spent the night under each of their pillows. On the back of the box, there are pictures of other Blocky playsets that are available for sale. They pointed out one they might like, if possible. Fabian found one of the other ones interesting, but he didn't want to sound greedy. So he pointed to the one he liked and said (rough translation) "And after that one, way, wayy wayy way after, like FOREVER after, much much much later after you buy that one, could you maybe see if you could bring this one?" It was so cute. Thanks to some generous donations from people back home, I should be able to buy both of those sets that they want so badly. That was so nice of you guys--and I want you to know that the kids and I all appreciate it very much.

Tutui is an absolute angel. He grins at me and then wraps his arms around my neck as tight as he can about every 5 minutes. Sometimes he just wants to look at me and run his hands over my face and through my hair. He looks like he's trying to memorize me. I think I'm the only person that shows him the kind of love and care a 3-year-old should have. Sometimes if it's been a while I say, "Tutui, I want a hug!" He absolutely lights up and comes running toward me with open arms. He has quite the grip on my heart. I recently learned that his REAL name is Jonathan. Interesting. I thought it was Tutui--no one calls him by anything else. If you ask him though what his name is, he will tell you that it is Jonathan. But, if you ask him what he is called (The more common way of asking for names in Spanish), he will say "Tutui". I kept asking everyone where the name Tutui came from if his real name is Jonathan, but no one seems to know. As if he wasn't already adorable enough, he commonly speaks about himself in 3rd person. He'll say things like "Tutui is going to play with these!" or "Tutui has to go to the bathroom!" Today he looked at a picture on my camera in which he was blinking, and said "Tutui is doing [and then proceeded to blink at me rapidly]". Somehow the fact that all of this is in Spanish makes it even cuter.

I really wish I could bring all these kids home with me to stay...or at least to meet everyone. They're not going to know what happened when I leave. Michaela (the 7 year old girl who has her mouth wide open in the picture up top) is old enough to understand that I'm not her mother, but that doesn't stop her from whispering to every other kid when I go to pick her up from school "That's my mama". She thinks I can't hear her. Milagros, though, is still seriously confused. She calls me "Mamá" or "Mami" even more often now. Sometimes I try to set her straight, and say "No soy Mamá" (I'm not Mama), but she just laughs and laughs. She thinks that's just about the funniest thing she's ever heard. I have no doubt she's thinking something to the effect of "Silly Mommy..."

Anyway, I'll have more news soon. Hopefully good news...

Buenas Noches!





7 Comments:

  • At September 19, 2008 at 5:12 AM , Blogger proud dad said...

    Sarah, Continuing my tradition of being the first to comment let me again say thank you for taking the time in your schedule to update us all. Mom asked me to read this post aloud to her and I admit I had to pause and wipe my eyes a few times as I read. I know this "adventure" is probably exceeding your expectations and I know you will be blessed for your service to these sweet children. dad xoxo

     
  • At September 19, 2008 at 5:14 AM , Blogger The Mom said...

    Sarah,
    I am so glad you are able to give these kids your love and attention! I was filled with emotion as Dad read your update to me today. I hope you have a good day. love you! xoxo

     
  • At September 19, 2008 at 6:51 AM , Blogger Grandma Beck said...

    WOW... Sarah... each day when we read your BLOG it makes us more happy that you have chosen to spend these weeks of your life in truly GIVING OF YOURSELF. You can see in the children's eyes that they FEEL YOUR LOVE as you serve them.

    Thanks for being such a sweet example to all of us. We pray for you constantly that you will be well, happy, and safe as you give this incredible service.

    WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH... Grandma and Grandpa Beck xoxo

     
  • At September 19, 2008 at 7:47 AM , Blogger The Mom said...

    Hey Sarah,
    I've been printing this so Grandma Nalder can read it. She wanted me to be sure and tell you how much she has enjoyed reading all about your experience. She also wanted me to tell you how much she and Grandpa love you! They are glad that you are doing so much for the children there.

     
  • At September 19, 2008 at 10:37 AM , Blogger Brittany Heaps :) said...

    MY COUSIN!!!!! How are you? I am so glad I got e-mailed your blog... I honestly had no idea what you were doing.... you're AMAZING! Oh man I am so happy and amazed that you are doing this incredible thing....Are you loving it? I wish I could have come with you :( It sounds like an incredible experience, is your Spanish getting even better to? Love you much and you can say hi to me in your blog if you want :) And if you go in the water make sure you have a lesser chance ;) ha -BRITTANY HEAPS YOUR CUZ

     
  • At September 19, 2008 at 3:58 PM , Blogger Terri said...

    Sara, I open your blog everyday and it brings tears to my eyes. You are truly getting an experience that most people will never get or like me to old to get. Keep your emotions happy and thank you for sharing your "adventure",as your dad says, with us. It is a real eye opener...
    Terri(your dads nurse)

     
  • At September 19, 2008 at 6:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey Sarah,

    I was telling Jon that when I first read your blog, I could picture it as if I could hear you telling the story that you wrote in person in front of me. Pretty good blog.

    Your adventure sounds awesome, and I'm glad to see that you're having a great time as well as the kids down there. I am sure that they will miss you when you do leave. So make sure you make the most of the rest of your time down there.

    Have fun, and I'll keep on reading as long as you write... I'll see you soon.

    Stephen

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home